It’s that time of year when everyone makes a million resolutions to help them be the best version of themselves. If you want to make a few New Year’s resolutions that will make a huge impact on both your health and your appearance, get ready for New Year’s Resolutions: Dental Health Edition.
5 Resolutions for Dental Health
We’re going to give you five simple resolutions that you can make right now that will keep your mouth healthy and your smile looking great for the new year!
1. Improve Your Oral Hygiene
We can all learn some valuable dental lessons from our car. Continuous upkeep and maintenance can keep your car and your mouth in great shape. You know you should be brushing your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes and flossing. Sometimes, it is easy to forget or let fall by the wayside, but brushing and flossing correctly is the best thing you can do to keep your teeth healthy.
One New Year’s Resolutions: Dental Health Edition oral hygiene tip includes remembering this brushing advice:
- Make sure you are brushing your teeth for at least two full minutes.
- Brush in a circular motion, sweeping debris up and away from the gum line.
- Use a toothbrush with rounded tips on the bristles.
- Floss between each tooth and all the way under the gum line to remove debris your brush can’t reach.
2. Use the New Year to Improve Your Diet
Most things that will improve your diet also help keep your teeth and gums healthy. Here are a few things to remember that affect both your diet and your teeth:
- New year, new you. Stay away from sugary and acidic foods. They can damage your teeth as well as help you pack on the pounds.
- Don’t snack between meals. Most people aren’t able to brush their teeth after having a snack. This means the food particles have longer to break down in your mouth creating more acid and more problems. If you have to snack, avoid sugary or sticky foods.
- Drink lots of water in the new year. Replacing sugary drinks with water helps you avoid calories while also keeping you hydrated. Staying hydrated matters because a dry mouth is a breeding ground for cavity-causing bacteria.
3. Use a Mouth Guard
It’s like wearing a helmet in a lot of ways. A mouth guard is needed when you are playing activities that could put you in danger of an injury to your mouth or teeth. Some people avoid them because they are afraid they look funny or they don’t like how a mouth guard feels.
The truth is you will quickly get used to a mouth guard. If you play sports, the weird sensation you experience at first using one is worth the trouble it can save you from dental injuries in the new year.
4. Stop Smoking
If you are a smoker, you probably hear all the time that you should quit. There are many reasons to quit smoking and your teeth and gums are one of them. Smoking will not only discolor your teeth, but it can also leave your mouth susceptible to cancer and other diseases.
If you are a smoker, make this new year the year that you quit smoking!
5. Visit Your Local Dentist in the New Year
Wondering when to see a dentist? Having regular visits with your local dentist in the new year is part of having good dental hygiene. Seeing your dentist for checkups allows them to catch problems before they can do a lot of damage.
Unfortunately, many people put off seeing the dentist when they first notice a problem. This is the wrong thing to do. Seeing the dentist right away when you suspect a problem will save you money and prevent pain.
Top Dentist in Beverly Hills
Do you want to start the new year off right? Visit the Dental Group of Beverly Hills for all of your oral health needs. We offer everything from a dental crown to Invisalign and pretty much every dental service in between. Give us a call today or check out our About Us page to learn more about our offerings!