Teeth whitening treatments offer a safe and effective way to reverse the years of everyday staining and yellowing on your teeth. With this procedure, you’ll most likely experience a boost in self-confidence and self-esteem due to a brighter and more youthful smile.
Some Causes of Tooth Discoloration
Many lifestyle factors contribute to the staining and transformation of your teeth from white to yellow. The two main types of stains that cause your teeth to discolor are known as extrinsic stains and intrinsic stains.
Extrinsic Tooth Stains
Extrinsic tooth stains vary in the degree of discoloration. These stains are usually a result of the foods you consume frequently. Extrinsic tooth stains can be easily removed with teeth whitening treatments typically found at a dentist’s office.
The causes of extrinsic tooth stains include the use or consumption of:
- Cigarettes (smoking) and chewing tobacco
- Beverages like soda, red wine, coffee, and tea
- Sauces such as soy sauce, curries, dark sauces, and tomato sauces
- Various foods such as chocolates, blueberries, cherries, beets, and pomegranates
Intrinsic tooth stains are a result of what occurs beneath your tooth’s surface enamel due to:
- Various genetic disorders
- Taking medications, like antibiotics
- Consuming water with too much fluoride
- Some dental materials, like silver fillings
How Can I Whiten My Teeth?
Even with regular flossing and brushing, your teeth can still be discolored to various degrees. Keeping your regular teeth cleaning appointments will definitely help with tooth upkeep, but your teeth might still be a different shade.
We can help. Along with preventive dental measures to ensure a vibrant white smile, there are safe, fast, and effective ways to whiten your teeth.
Two effective ways to whiten your teeth are the following:
- The professionally administered (in-clinic) tooth whitening technique, also known as dental bleaching, is probably the most popular aesthetic procedure today.
- Another common approach is at-home teeth whitening systems with custom-fitted trays, that patients use to apply professional-strength bleaching gel (for use at night or during the day).
A popular independent teeth whitening system we provide at the clinic is Philips Zoom, which has the ability to significantly whiten teeth the same day. Your dentist will use a special light on the teeth to trigger a chemical bleaching solution and induce whitening. You will see visible results immediately.
Depending on the procedure you decide to have when you visit our clinic, you can expect to see results within a few hours. Many of the common components of teeth whitening agents include bleach, such as carbamide peroxide and hydrogen peroxide.
Once you and our dentist decide on the type of treatment that works best for you, you can rest assured that we will provide you with quality care and reliable ongoing solutions.
As your dental care provider, we will create a customized tooth whitening treatment kit for you to take home, so you can continue the regimen and obtain optimal results faster. Take-home whitening kits have various strength formulas. We will adjust the bleaching process to ensure you experience as little tooth sensitivity as possible.
Are Teeth Whitening Treatments Effective?
- Whitening treatments can be effective on both extrinsic and intrinsic staining.
- Only natural teeth can be whitened.
- Side effects include temporary tooth sensitivity and gingival inflammation.
- Depending on the treatment you select, results can be visible within a few hours.
As your dentist, we will continually recommend safe and effective treatments to ensure that you achieve the confidence and bright smile you deserve. Whether you’re visiting our office for a deep cleaning or a root canal, we’re here to make sure your teeth last you a lifetime.